Open Enrollment - Health Care Insurance
2012 OPEN ENROLLMENT - NOW CLOSED
Click Here for Benefit Information and Forms
What Is Open Enrollment?
The annual Health Insurance Open Enrollment period provides you with an opportunity to switch your employer- sponsored medical and dental insurance carriers and/or add eligible dependents, including sponsored dependents to your insurance policy.
If you fail to make these changes within this time period, your next opportunity to do so will be during the next open enrollment period in the year 2013. You are not required to make a change to your health or dental insurance plan[s] if you do not wish to do so.
In general, all active employees eligible for health benefits administered by Wayne County are eligible to change their current health insurance carrier[s].
If you are a New Hire or Rehire, your current collective bargaining agreement [CBA] or benefit plan may require that you be covered by the plan of the Employer’s choice for one year for both medical and dental benefits. That year must be completed by October 1st of this year. If you have not been covered by these plans for at least one year by this October 1st, you may not switch to a different insurance plan during this open enrollment period. However, you may add eligible dependents at this time.
If you are an Active Employee, you may be limited by your labor agreement to enrollment in specific insurance plans. Check your current CBA or benefit plan to determine if you are eligible for enrollment in the new plan you have selected. Enrollment changes that are prohibited under the terms of the appropriate labor agreement will not be honored.
Individuals enrolled in COBRA health care continuation plans administered by the Wayne County Benefits Administration Division are entitled to make changes during the open enrollment period as if they were active employees. All changes made will be subject to COBRA premium rate changes effective October 1st.
Eligible Dependents Eligible Dependents include spouses, dependent children up to age 26 and other legal dependents related by blood or marriage and as defined by the IRS.
To change medical and/or dental insurance carriers/plans, you must provide the following forms:
- Open Enrollment Change Form identifying the plan change(s) you want to make;
- Enrollment/Change of Status Form with supporting documentation; and
- Health Care Opt Out Form with proof of other group health coverage if you elect to opt out of medical and prescription drug coverage.
To add eligible dependents not currently covered under your insurance plan, you must provide the following:
- Open Enrollment Change Form identifying that you are adding a new dependent[s];
- If you are also changing insurance plans -- add dependent information to the Enrollment/Change Status Form
- If you are not switching insurance plans -- complete an Enrollment/Change Status Form
- Proof of Eligible Relationship to employee; this includes marriage certificates, birth certificates, or other proof of eligible relationship.
- If the dependent is a permanently disabled child, you must provide Proof of Total and Permanent Disability [certified by a physician].
Provider Links: See Benefit Provider Contact Information
Call the Benefits Administration Office at: (313) 224-7721
- Get A Job...
- Apply For...
- Get Documents For...
- Sign Up For...
- Pay For...
- Get Training...
- Learn About...