General InformationProtection of a business name is established by the registration of that name through the County Clerk's Office in the county in which the business is located.
There are two  types of registration at the county level: An Assumed name consists of one or more parties. It is the more binding of the types as, all parties listed must sign the papers in front of a Notary and no changes can be made without the signatures of all parties involved. A Co-Partnership is two or more parties, but may be dissolved or changed by the signature of any party. Business name is subject to our approval.
You now have 3 options if you are applying for an Assumed Name.
Your application can be filed in person at the Wayne County Clerk's Office, or you can save time by filling out your application online! You can also mail your completed application to the Wayne County Clerk's office. **Please note that the application must be notarized, and must be accompanied by a copy of your current state-issued photo identification (Drivers License or Michigan State I.D. card).
All required documents must be presented in person to the County Clerk Office:
- PRINT OR TYPE ALL INFORMATION ON THE FORMS, except signatures. BLACK INK ONLY. Do not use pencil or red ink. Post Office box numbers are not acceptable for the business address.
- Signatures should be placed on the lines found at the middle of the form. ALL LISTED OWNERS MUST SIGN THE CERTIFICATE.
- ALL SIGNATURES MUST BE NOTARIZED. All notaries public must legally sign and print or stamp their name and expiration dates on each certificate; as well as the names of the persons who appeared before the notary.
- Return all three  copies [original +2] along with the $16.00 filing fee to:
Cathy M. Garrett, Wayne County Clerk
201 Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
Detroit, MI 48226
ATTN: Assumed Names
*Please Note: We no longer accept personal checks. PLEASE SEND MONEY ORDERS ONLY. All personal checks will be returned. Make money orders payable to the Wayne County Clerk. Two  certified copies of the certificate will be returned to you after filing.
- If you change your business address, you must notify this office.
- If you dissolve your business, you should file a certificate of discontinuance with this office.
- If there is a change of ownership, a certificate of discontinuance should be filed by the previous owner and the new owner or owners must file a new certificate of assumed name or co-partnership.
- Forms for change of address of certificate of discontinuance are available at the address listed above.
*Please note, after submitting your online application YOU MUST appear in person at the Wayne County Clerk's Office to finish the application process.
- Registration of an Assumed Name $16.00
- Registration of a Co-Partnership $10.00
- A plain copy of either document $ 2.25
- A certified copy of an Assumed Name Document $2.00
- A certified copy of a Co-Partnership $ 2.00
- A consent of service for out of State owner $ 2.00
- A discontinuance of Business Registration Fee $10.00
- A Change of address Fee $10.00
How It Works...(quick links)
For More Information
Michigan Department of Commerce
Corporation & Securities Bureau
6546 Mercantile Way
Lansing, MI 48909
Ph: (517) 241-6470
- Get A Job...
- Apply For...
- Get Documents For...
- Sign Up For...
- Pay For...
- Get Training...
- Learn About...